October 16 is World Food Day and today
· the Vancouver Sun carried an op-ed by Graham Riches, emeritus professor of social work, UBC, on the Right to Food
Also a month ago a coalition of some of BC’s leading antipoverty, food, health and social policy organizations invited the CBC to host a day of discussion around the theme of a BC ‘Right to Food Day’ to coincide with this year’s World Food Day.
Unfortunately the CBC declined this invitation to be part of a public discussion about reframing how to tackle hunger in BC from one based on food charity to a right to food.
Graham Riches refers to this exchange in his piece in the Vancouver Sun, and Raise the Rates in the interest of informed public policy publishes this exchange. Hopefully next year CBC will be part of the important discussion on the right to food and need to end food insecurity.
The letter was initially signed by 13 organizations that have since been joined by more. The letter has the support of the following organizations.
· Aboriginal Front Door
· ACORN – Canada
· Africa Great Lakes Networking Foundation
· BC Food Systems Network
· BC Healthy Living Alliance
· BC Poverty Reduction Coalition
· British Columbia Nurses’ Union
· Canada Without Poverty
· Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, BC
· Carnegie Community Action Project
· Community Legal Assistance Society
· Dietitians of Canada, BC
· Downtown Eastside Neighbourhood House
· Faith in Action
· First Call: BC Child and Youth Advocacy Coalition
· Gordon Neighbourhood House
· Justice For Girls
· Parent Support Services Society of BC
· Public Health Association of BC
· Raise the Rates
· Social Justice Committee of the Unitarian Church of Vancouver
· Surrey/White Rock Food Action Coalition
· Vancouver Food Policy Council